Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"Are you 90 or something?"

My LSAT instructor asked me that yesterday. I've been mentioning in my Gmail and Facebook profiles that my left hip has been giving me trouble, and that I was planning on seeing an orthopedist Tuesday morning. He wanted to follow up to make sure I was okay, and/or not a very well preserved senior citizen.

If you've been following the blog, you'll know this isn't the first setback I've dealt with. It took me about a month to get into the right pair of shoes and deal with the plantar faciitis that resulted from wearing too-narrow Asics. I missed about a week of training because of that, but was able to cross-train and come back strong in my nice and roomy New Balances and brandspankin' new Superfeet inserts. Once the feet were settled, my left hip decided it was in need of some attention, so it started seizing up last Thursday during my speed workout. After a pitiful 1.87 miles on Saturday, I was driven back to the start of our run. I spent the weekend icing, stretching, getting a sports massage (not pleasant) and going to yoga.

None of it has really helped, unfortunately. However, my appointment yesterday went very well.

I walked into the office and was happy to see posters commemorating the Boston Marathon and famous athletes. I was seen by Dr. Thunder (coolest name ever), who ordered an X-ray performed by a spunky older nurse. After reviewing the X-ray, we had the following conversation:

Dr. Thunder: Here's your X-ray.
Nina: [looks at X-ray. Doesn't see any obvious fractures. Wonders if hips look fat] Okay...
Dr. Thunder: I don't see any fractures...
Nina: Great!
Dr. Thunder: ... But that doesn't mean there's nothing there. Do you know what a stress fracture is?

At this point he begins explaining what a stress fracture is. I know exactly what a stress fracture is- it's the ruiner of marathon training schedules and my nemesis. I think he saw my face fall and my eyes well up with tears.

Dr. Thunder: Wait. Oh. No. No no no no, I'm not saying you have one and I don't think you do.
Nina: [sniffles] Okay.
Dr. Thunder: I have to ask you though... Have you lost a lot of weight recently?
Nina: No sir. I've actually put on a couple pounds since I began training.
Dr. Thunder: You put weight on?
Nina: [Dude, wtf! I'm hungry!] Yes, but I think it's muscle. [God I hope it's muscle!]

Dr. Thunder: Okay, well, just as long as you aren't just eating popcorn for a month straight. Some women get crazy and diet while they train so they can lose weight.
Nina: Yeah, sounds crazy. [Popcorn diet, aye? Never heard of this one. Sounds interesting...]
Dr. Thunder: So anyways, I don't think you have a stress fracture...
Nina: Great!
Dr. Thunder: But, if you do, I can't see it on here. I'd have to order an MRI.
Nina: [MRI?!? F-word. I need to be at work in 30 minutes and I don't think I can afford an MRI anyway] Okay...
Dr. Thunder: But I'm not going to do that, because I don't think you have one.
Nina: [Starts breathing again] Okay... great...?

We wrapped it up and Dr. Thunder sent me on my way with a prescription for physical therpay twice a week for three weeks. If that doesn't work, I will be having said MRI soemtime in the middle of August. I see my PT on Friday for the initial visit. I'm considering bribing him to give me crazy animal steroids so I can run without feeling any pain, even if my hip ends up falling off. Hips can do that, right?

But on a more serious note, the race is only 12 weeks away. I'm starting to worry I won't even make it to the starting line. I'm trying to weigh my options, but I'm still at a loss as to what to do. I don't want to injure myself permanently while training for this race, but I don't want to let my team down, my donors down or my family down. I don't want to let myself down, either. This was supposed to be my way of helping, and it's looking like I can't even do that.

I'll keep y'all posted. And as always, thanks for the support.

2 comments:

Tauni said...

If you get crazy animal steroids I will pay for some or if you find a way to buy a new hip - I could use some new shins. :)

Nina said...

Maybe we can work out some sort of trade. My shins are good!