Friday, August 1, 2008

PT time--UPDATED

I go to physical therapy at noon today.

I've had a couple friends tell me about something called electrica stimulation therapy. The therapist applies those patched that are used for EKGs to the injured muscle and sense little shockwaves through it to somehow fool your brain into believing you're not hurt anymore. This reduces the blood sent to the area and helps bring down inflamation. I'm also hoping he uses ultrasound to break up some scar tissue.

Really what I'm hoping is that he gives me some sort of crazy miracle drug that takes away all pain, allows me to run ASAP and shaves a couple minutes off my mile pace.

A girl can dream, right?

----

Well, no drugs.

Just back from physical therapy.

I am allowed to:
-Ride the stationary bike at low resistance for a maximum of 12 minutes.
-Walk up to 200 yards in a swimming pool
-Stretch

If it is not painful, I am allowed to:
-Swim a basic crawl stroke
-Lift my knee in the water

I am NOT allowed to:
-Speed walk
-Jog
-Run
-Go to spin class
-Do the elliptical machine

Therapist estimates I may be able to speed walk in two weeks, then progress to walk/jog, then to jog, then to run/walk, then to run.

My marathon is in 11 weeks.

I cried in the middle of the appointment.

2 comments:

Tauni said...

I think that you need to buy a new hip and i will be on the prowl for some animal steroids

Unknown said...

Nina- I am so, so sorry to hear about the news. I am the one who posted last wk about my inability to complete training for Nike on Runnersworld.com. Everybody's comments were very helpful. My offer stands to walk the half in Oct. I know that may seem a little strange since you don't know me or anything, but at least its a plan. Get healthy, keep your cardo up, and walking a half is the best alternative. At least we get those Tiffany finisher necklaces. And you have such a great cause, you can't give up. We are also alike in that for the CIM in December I was going to be raising money for SIDS research. I lost my brother to SIDS almost 25 yrs ago. ea.myers@yahoo.com