Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Life on the DL

Things I've noticed since I was forced to grab some pine:
1. I am not anywhere near as hungry as I used to be.
2. I am not constantly exhausted.
3. My legs aren't constantly sore.
4. I have a lot of free time.
5. I miss running terribly and am going slowly insane at the thought of not being able to complete the marathon in October.

I go in for my second physical therapy appointment today. Since last Friday I've done my best to get all my exercising a stretching in each day. Saturday I stood on my feet for six hours while passing out towels at the Del Mar races, which probably wasn't the smartest idea. Physically it put a lot of stress on my feet and knees, and mentally it about killed me. Head on over to Tauni's blog for all the sordid details... http://taunisinnerthoughts.blogspot.com/.

Anyway, Sunday I hit the gym for some upperbody weights and a nice stroll in the pool. My usual weightlifting routine involved a couple reps of bicep curls and some dips, but I've now flushed out the routine a little more given that it's the only weight training I can do. Apparently there are exercises that strengthen not only your arms, but your back, shoulders and chest as well. Who knew?

My 200-yard pool walks and 12 minute bicycle rides are also doing me some good. I can do both with very minimal pain now, and I'm crossing my fingers my PT gives me the all clear to up time spent on the bike. I'd love to start aqua jogging, too. I'm worried about losing my cardiovascular fitness- the sooner I can get back to pushing my body and raising my heartrate the better!

One thing I'm not worried about losing are some great friends I've made through TNT. (How smooth was that transition??) Below is a picture of Tauni, Felicia, myself and Julie enjoying some beers and live music at Longboards in PB. They're definitely the best part of this training program (with the physical benefits in a close second!).



I'll be sure and update with the (hopefully) good news today! Hope everyone is well and healthy.

No comments: