Thursday, August 7, 2008

Making progress!

Yesterday's PT appointment went very well!

First, my therapist, Brian, iced my hip for about 10 minutes. Following that, he did some soft tissue work around my hip flexor. The stretching was very subtle, but I could tell something was going on: it felt like I was getting an Indian burn inside my muscles (in a good way, though). After soft tissue he stretched me out for a bit, and then showed me some new stretches I can do standing up. I also got the all clear to increase my riding time on the bike and to begin aqua jogging!!

I've noticed that for the first part of the day, there's barely any pain in my hip. It is sore by the evening, but that's a huge step from limping around from the moment I get up. I'm not nearly as gimpy as I used to be, either.

I am thrilled with the progress I've made. I see him again tomorrow, and then two more times next week. My last appointment will be somewhere around August 18. That puts me 8 weeks away from Nike Women's. I still think there's a chance I could finish the race, though I may have to do a lot of walking. Even if that is the case, it's better than having to drop out. I've made a commitment to myself, my family and my donors to finish this marathon, and I'll do whatever it takes to accomplish that goal.

I'm off to the gym for an incredible TWENTY MINUTES of stationary biking. :) Thanks again for all the support.

No comments: