Saturday, July 12, 2008

7/12 Slinging hotdogs for charity

I've been trying to keep my Monday nights open now that I've joined the midweek running sessions. Mondays are designated hill workout days, and while Tierrasanta is quite aptly named "The Island in the Hills," Rueda Drive doesn't hold a candle to the behemouth that is the descent down to Torrey Pines beach. [I just spent 10 minutes trying to Google a picture, but I've been unsuccessful. Let's just say it's very steep].

However, since I'm rehabbing the plantar fasciitis in my left foot and taking time off from running, my Monday nights are now really, really open. This worked out nicely when Julie and Tauni called and asked if I could volunteer with them at the Padres game last week. The Padres Foundation has a long relationship with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and allows Team-in-Training participants to, among other things, come in and work a concession stand during the game. Volunteers then get a percentage of the profits from the night they worked, and that money goes directly to our fundraising accounts. Since my new goal is to beat Julie at fundraising, I jumped at the chance to earn some extra money.

It was also a special night for me because Petco Park was Robert's favorite place. He was a diehard Padres fan, and he saved up his money so that he could purchase season tickets to their games. I don't think he ever actually sat and watched the whole game, but he loved to go in and talk to everyone. He was so well known amongst ushers and security guards that some of them recognized his obituary back in March. They commented in his on-line memory book, and spoke highly of his character and charm. It was really nice to be able to experience something that he really loved, and I look forward to going back many times.

Anyway, I met Julie, Tauni and several other teammates at the Rubio's stand in section 121, and proceeded to sell $1 hotdogs all night long. That's right: $1 hotdogs. At the Rubio's stand. Also popular at the taco stand was frozen yogurt. I don't understand why we bothered fronting as a Mexican food joint if we were selling the most American food you can find, but it was a good time nonetheless. I also got to practice pulling beer from a tap, which will come in handy next week when I volunteer at the Del Mar racetrak during opening day.

Oh- since I think blogs with pictures are always more fun, I leave you with a picture of me, Tauni and Julie, after we sold hotdogs for five hours straight.

1 comment:

Tauni said...

You are a much better person than I am, I couldn't help but make fun of Jay :)