Saturday, May 24, 2008

5/24 - New shoes!

After a misty 5 mile run through Clairemont (I'm still waiting on the beautiful runs I was promised!) the team was invited to stay for a shoe clinic at Roadrunner Sports off of Convoy.

Because there were so many of us, there was a wait until we could meet with a shoe expert and get advice on proper footwear. I spent the time browsing the sock section with my new friend Julie, who I ran the 5 with this morning. The two of us ran with Lisa, who was outfitted with a Garmin 305 heartrate monitor that tells you EVERYTHING about your run: distance, mile split times, elevation, heartrate, pace, calories burned... It's an amazing little gadget, and I've been thinking about getting one myself. Mom and dad, if you've found my blog yet, I think the 305's starting to go on sale soon. My birthday is also soon (hint).

Julie and I wandered the sock section for a bit ($25.00 for three pairs of moisture wicking socks? I better be super fast, now!), and finally it was my turn to get fitted. First, my shoe expert, a very attractive guy named Eric who was not talkative at all, had me walk barefoot across a pad and then run barefoot on a treadmill. Somehow he was able to deduce how I distributed my weight, the kind of arch I have and what kind of support I need in a shoe.

With that information in hand, I soon became the proud owner of a pair of Asics! I was running in New Balances before, and although they're comfy, the toe box was way too big. I really feel the difference in support with my new sneakers, and I can't wait to break them in and then bust them out next week on our 6 mile run.

I never thought I'd look forward to giving up my Saturday mornings, but I am having the best time right now. Hope you all are well, too!

Love,
Nina

No comments: