Wednesday, May 21, 2008

5/21 - Donation Letter Complete!

I finally got around to writing my donation letter. I wanted to make it a little more personal, and I think I succeeded. It should be in the mail early next week. I'm also hoping to merge the two statements (the letter and the one on my TNT Page) into one, and then put that on a bulletin board I can display in my gym and at restaurants and places Robert really enjoyed. Of course, I still have to set all that up too.

Without further ado, the letter.
Dear Friends & Family:

I am excited to announce that I have joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program! Through TNT I will train for and complete the Nike Women's Marathon this October in San Francisco.

My training began this weekend with a four mile run through Kearny Mesa. Those of you familiar with San Diego geography know that Kearny Mesa is not the epitome of scenic beauty; sans iPod and a good view, I was left with nothing to do but think as I pounded the pavement.

Somewhere between my starting point and the used car lots and strip-clubs scattered down Kearney Villa Road, I thought about the events that brought me to TNT. Call it a symptom of being "young and fearless," but I believed cancer and death were things reserved for the elderly and certainly not anyone that I loved. All of that changed when Robert was diagnosed with leukemia in February. His short battle, though hard fought, was lost on March 18, 2008.

Following Rob's death, I changed in a way that I was not proud of: I became angry. How could this happen to my family? How could something this awful happen to someone as kind-hearted and loving as Robert? I was consumed by this unfamiliar feeling of rage, and I felt like I had nowhere to direct it: I couldn't call leukemia on the telephone and scream at it. I couldn't hunt it down and hurt it like it had hurt my brother and my family. For the very first time in my life I felt truly helpless– and then I joined Team in Training.

I started thinking about the type of person Robert was, and it became obvious that joining TNT to run the Nike Women's Marathon was the perfect way to honor Robert's life. An athlete himself, he enjoyed being part of a team; his social nature would have made him a perfect fit at our group training sessions; he would have loved going to San Francisco to watch thousands of ladies run by him; and his generous spirit would have made him a natural at fund-raising money to donate to the Leukemia & Lymphoma society.

My race is October 19, 2008. In addition to training for the event for the next five months, I have committed to raising a minimum of $3,300. Seventy-five percent of that amount goes directly to fund research to cure blood cancers. TNT has raised over $850 million since its formation in 1988, and I want nothing more than to contribute everything I can to their cause.

I send you this letter in hopes that you can donate to the cause. Donations can be made by check or on-line at my web page: pages.teamintraining.org/sd/nikesf08/ngriffin.
If you would like to follow my progress, I've also created a blog to document my experience. Check on me there at ninarunsforrob.blogspot.com.

I hope you are able to donate today. Your generosity will not go unappreciated.

Love,
Nina

1 comment:

Captain Judy Mickel said...

Hi Nina,
This is the first opportunity that I have had to view your blog. I am blown away by your spirit, courage and ability to share your feelings through your writing. We love you and Robert. Although it has been over a year since Robert left us we think of him often and share his life's story with many.
Hugs and love to you.
Judy and Uncle Bill