Friday, June 13, 2008

6/13 It's for real now

It dawned on me yesterday how much effort training for this marathon will take.

One of the attorneys in the office is an avid cyclist. He just returned from a 700 MILE long ride, and he's currently the only endurance athlete I know. I was chatting with him in the kitchen, and said that I had no idea training for an endurance event would take up so much time. His response:

"Yeah, and you're not even really there yet."

He made a good point- I am only running about 20 miles a week right now (up to 30+ at the end of July). I got pretty quiet after he said that, just realizing how much effort training well would really take. I've definitely been logging miles, and I'm already constantly sore, but it's only been a month! I'd be lying if I said the idea of running 26.2 didn't make me anxious.

I think what I'm most worried about is failing. I used to worry about what time I'd finish, as I really wanted to finish under 4:30:00. Now I worry that I'll get injured before the race, that I won't train properly and thusly won't be able to finish, or that (and this would be awful) I'd get injured DURING the race and have to stop! I don't think I could face all of the donors that have been so generous. I'd feel like such a... Well, a failure!

I know that I'm only responsible for doing the best that I can, but now I've been inspired to REALLY push myself! I definitely haven't been cross training as much as I should be, and I could squeeze in a couple more weight training sessions. The LSAT is done on Monday evening, and not having to go to class three days a week will really free up some time to cross-train and lift weights.

With nervous anticipation, I bid you all a good weekend. Again, thanks for the support!!

No comments: