Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Really now...

My second go at marathon training has, admittedly, been half-hearted. Blame it on frequent travel, cold weather, nagging injuries or fear of failing (again), but I've been nervous about jumping into this with both feet.

I think this paragraph is supposed to start out something like, "... Until now!" Unfortunately, that's not the case. I am still nervous and apprehensive. Last season I was somewhat neurotic about hitting weekly mileage goals; this season I live for my rest and cross-training days. I've convinced myself that hills are the devil and again find myself back home in Tierrasanta, home to significant elevation changes. I don't think I'm being entirely paranoid about those hills, either- after 5mi last Sunday (coupled with moving all weekend long), it feels like plantar fasciitis is setting in again. An aside: is it just me, or is "plantar fasciitis" the most awful, unglamorous, ugly name for an affliction ever? Gross.

In any event, I'm slogging through training this week in hopes of forcing some excitement back into my workouts. Monday's 4mi were done on the treadmill while it rained outside. This morning started at 5:00am and included weight training, core work and speed intervals on the elliptical. I'll be heading back tonight to spend some more time on the bike and Stair-master. Twice-weekly sessions with a personal trainer have also spiced up the routine and given me other goals to shoot for. Saturday will be the first time I run with the team this season.

I had a dream on Friday night that I ran San Diego RnR in 4:34. I don't really believe that dreams like that come true, but I am hopeful this is an indicator that my subconscious is passionate about training more than my conscious self is-- I also really hope the subconscious desire take over and I get excited soon.

Until then, I guess it's just one foot in front of the other.

1 comment:

L.A. Runner said...

You will get excited soon. Take care of the foot and, just like you said, one foot in front of the other! You can do it!